Susan Wagner, president of Equine Advocates Rescue & Sanctuary, will host the powerful American Equine Summit next month in Chatham, N.Y., which is also home to a horse said to be the poster child of horse slaughter—Press Exclusive.
Veteran television journalist Jane Valez-Mitchell will keynote the 2014 American Equine Summit, which will feature presentations from some of the most prominent equine experts in the country, and include a videotaped message from Vice President Joseph Biden.
“I invited a group of experts to present new ideas for how to stop the slaughter of America’s equines, says Equine Advocates President Susan Wagner, who notes that guest speaker Victoria McCullough has vowed to cull information presented at the two-day conference to form a cogent case against horse slaughter, one she hopes will lead to a ban.
McCullough is an international equestrian, philanthropist and owner of Chesapeake Petroleum, who worked tirelessly in Washington to end horse slaughter, Wagner says.
“She met with the Vice President, the Secretary of Agriculture and other members of the executive branch,” Wagner says. “The end result was the insertion of language to the 2014 Omnibus Bill by Vice President Biden to defund horse slaughter in the United States. President Obama signed it into law on January 17.”
Wagner, who agreed to give former race mare Press Exclusive permanent sanctuary after the big-earner nearly died en route to slaughter (please see related story here), is excited about the headway being made against slaughter.
Stating that she is more optimistic than ever that the end of equine slaughter is within reach, Wagner says this year’s summit will provide expert testimony from a wide range of experts, including horse advocates, veterinarians, and lawmakers.
Here is the list of speakers:
• Jane Velez Mitchell – Keynote Address
• The Honorable Joseph R. Biden, Vice President of the United States – Special Video Appearance
(In alphabetical order)
• Senator Joseph Abruzzo, Palm Beach County, FL (via video)
• Frank Biden, Former White House Legislative Director for the Clinton Administration, President of Mavericks Schools and brother of Vice President Joe Biden (via video)
• Debbie Coffey, Director of Wild Horse Affairs, Wild Horse Freedom Federation
• Vickery Eckhoff, Writer, Forbes Magazine
• John Holland, President, Equine Welfare Alliance
• Ginger Kathrens, Executive Director, The Cloud Foundation
• Dr. Ray Kellosalmi, Retired physician and Board Member, The Canadian Horse Defence Coalition (sic)
• Dr. Kraig Kulikowski, Equine Sports Medicine, Saratoga Springs, NY and Wellington, FL
• Victoria McCullough, International equestrian, philanthropist and owner of Chesapeake Petroleum
• Allen Rutberg Ph.D., Director, The Tufts Center for Animals and Public Policy
• George Strawbridge, Jr., International horseman and owner, Augustin Stables
• Susan Wagner, President and Founder of Equine Advocates
Founded in 1996, Equine Advocates is a nonprofit equine protection organization based in Chatham, NY. Its mission is to rescue, protect and prevent the abuse of equines through education, investigation, rescue operations, the dissemination of information to the public and through the operation of a horse sanctuary for slaughter-bound, abused and neglected equines.
Equine Advocates is also home to former race mare Press Exclusive, who earned nearly half a million on the track before becoming a broodmare, and who nearly died en route to slaughter. Press fell down among other frightened horses on a truck headed to Canada and was trampled. She was rescued by Mindy Lovell of Ontario, restored to health, and now resides in Chatham.
For more information on the American Equine Summit please contact them at: equineadvocates.org or call 518-245- 1599.