(Press Release)—My Fantastic Lady was crowned the overall champion at the third annual Totally Thoroughbred Horse Show, presented in four show rings on the infield at Pimlico Race Course July 13.
Owned by Sabrina Moore and ridden by Courtney Sommers, My Fantastic Lady accumulated the most number of points after winning three classes, Novice Hunter, Novice Hunter Walk/Trot Canter and Novice Hunter Classic.
“She was a morning glory as a race horse,” said Moore of the six year old. “She did everything perfect in the morning. We tried her short and long and we tried her on the grass. She had four starts but she just wasn’t competitive. My mom loves her, though, and we were determined to keep her.”
Behind My Fantastic Lady in the overall standings came Testamonially, who has finished second in the Pimlico show three years in a row.
Overall, there were 343 entries in a total of 16 classes.
“Things went as smoothly as possible with all of the horses and the hot weather,” said show manager Georganne Hale. “Things were going very well until the ground became a little slippery toward the end and we had a lot of late scratches. We were honored to have two female Hunt Cup winners here this afternoon, Liz McKnight rode in the show and Joy Slater was a spectator.”
The event is the brainchild of Hale, the Maryland Jockey Club’s racing secretary, and Adena Springs Retirement Program manager Stacie Clark-Rogers. Part of the Thoroughbred Alliance Show Series (T.A.S.S.), the Totally Thoroughbred Horse Show is one of a handful of shows for Thoroughbreds where each horse shows under its Jockey Club name. Traditional show horses have their names altered often when they change owners or circuits.
Nearly $15,000 in prize money was awarded to the owners of the first three finishers in each class (60%-winner; 30%-second place; 10%-third) and six ribbons were awarded for each class. The Totally Thoroughbred Horse Show, which began at 8 a.m. Eastern, included 16 classes. The inaugural event featured nearly 800 entries. A year ago, almost 400 entries with 140 Thoroughbred horses participated.
All the 2014 proceeds will go to two local Thoroughbred aftercare programs: Foxie G Foundation (www.thefoxiegfoundation.org/) and Mid-Atlantic Horse Rescue (www.midatlantichorserescue.org/). Since 2012, Pimlico’s Totally Thoroughbred Horse Show has raised more than $23,000 to benefit Thoroughbred Aftercare organizations.
Here are the results:
• Class 1 In Hand (Fillies and Mares) Presented by Keller Williams Realty Group & Brittingham Racing (T.I.P) Class —Winner Gilded Spider
• Class 2 In Hand (Geldings) Presented by Maryland Horse Breeders (T.I.P) Class— Winner Division A Victory’s Palace, Winner Division B Houston
• Class 3 Leadline Presented by Marquetta Pisarcik (T.I.P) Class (10 and under) —Winner Division A Campside, Winner Division B Trey Bear
• Class 4 AARP Leadline Presented by Children’s Colonial Trunk Show (T.I.P) Class (60 & over)—Winner Purple Sand
• Class 5 Novice Hunter (2’) Presented by MTHA—Winner Division A Red Gulch, Winner Division B Blazingthunderlady
• Class 6 Novice Hunter (2’6”) Presented by MTHA—Winner Division A Whiskey Bottom Road, Winner Division B My Fantastic Lady
• Class 7 Novice Hunter Walk/Trot Presented by MTHA— Winner Division A Brightly Shining, Winner Division B Campside
• Class 8 Novice Hunter Walk/Trot/Canter Presented by MTHA—Winner Division A Victory’s Palace, Winner Division B My Fantastic Lady
• Class 9 Novice Hunter Classic (2’ and 2’6”) Presented by MTHA (T.I.P) Class—Winner My Fantastic Lady
• Class 10 Open Hunter (2’6”) Presented by Holly Robinson Racing—Winner Division A Testamonially, Winner Division B Tippy Too
• Class 11 Open Hunter (3’) Presented by Gulfstream Park Thoroughbred After-Care Program—Winner Testamonially
• Class 12 Open Hunter Walk/Trot/Canter Presented by Winners Circle Partners (Stewart Nickel)—Winner Division A Silver Bill, Winner Division B Testamonially
• Class 13 Open Hunter Class (2’6” & 3’) Presented by Dark Hollow Farm (T.I.P) Class—Winner Genius Gold
• Class 14 Jumper (2’7”) Presented by Gulfstream Park Thoroughbred After-Care Program—Winner Peaceful Dove
• Class 15 Jumper (3’7”) Presented by Take2 (NYTHA) (T.I.P.) Class—Winner Enfield Glen
• Class 16 Gambler’s Choice (3’7”) Presented by Hillwood Stable, LLC (T.I.P) Class—Winner Voler Bar Nuit
The Pimlico Perpetual Trophy Presented by Gulfstream Park Thoroughbred After-Care Program.
The 2014 winner is the horse with the highest number of points accumulated in the In Hand Classes (1 & 2), Novice Hunter Classes (5,6,7,8 & 9) and Open Hunter Classes (10,11,12 & 13).
Results were: My Fantastic Lady, first; Testamonially, second; Houston, third; Victory’s Palace, fourth.
The sponsors for the Totally Thoroughbred Horse Show include Chesapeake Coffee, Children’s Colonial Trunk Show, Claiborne Farm, Country Life Farm, Dana Point Farm, Dark Hollow Farm, Exacta Business Solutions LLC, Hillwood Stable LLC, Holly Robinson Racing, Marquetta Pisarcik, Maryland Horse Breeders Association, Maryland Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Association, Next Car, Offtrack Products, PTK LLC, Take2-NYTHA, Terese Brittingham, The Jockey Club.